ecomaine mural

Psyched to share some photos of my latest project: this painted recycling container! A couple of months ago, my design was chosen as one of the winning entries for ecomaine’s 2019 Recycling is a Work of Art contest. In brainstorming how to illustrate their theme of, “Reduce, Reuse and Recycle in Maine,” I landed on the idea of up-cycling old items as planters for pollinators. Sketching some different layouts, I chose a pattern design - consisting of planters, pollinators, and earth-friendly symbols repeated on each side.

ecomaine_web res_1.png
process photos ecomaine web res.jpg

This was by far the largest-scale project I have ever done - but luckily I had the perfect place to work on it (outside my dad’s paint shop) and plenty of time. Spring weather in Maine is pretty unpredictable but I got some excellent sunny days!

process shot sunflowers web res 72.jpg
ecomaine_web res_2.png
ecomaine_web res_5.png
ecomaine_web res_7.png
ecomaine_web res_4.png

The container will be picked up at the end of this week and I’m excited to see where it goes! For local Mainers wanting to find out more about ecomaine, you can read about them here, check out their Recyclopedia here and see a list of their Recycling Drop Off Locations here.

ecomaine_web res_3.png

Geary Brewing Co. Mural

I’m excited to share a project that I just finished last week: a hand-lettered mural for Geary Brewing Co - painted on the door to their Tasting Room in Portland, Maine! I wanted to first share a couple photos of the finished work, then some process photos and insight into something new I tried for this particular project.

GEARY MURAL_WEB RES 3_angle shot.jpg

This mural had a tight deadline - and considering it required painting outside in April (a bit early for Maine), it was a risky one - especially since it rained almost every day during the week I needed to paint it. But, I got one sunny day - so I backed up my Rav and hunkered down for as long as I could to work on it.


Since I had such a limited amount of time to paint this, I tried something I’ve never done before for a mural project: making stencils. A couple days before I started painting (on a day I was supposed to paint but got rained out!), I made a big Photoshop file of my sketch/the door to-scale, then went over the sketch on my iPad to get higher-resolution lettering in black.

I had prints made of the major elements (like the Geary logo, and ‘NEW ENGLAND’S’), glued each of them to thin cardboard, then painstakingly cut out each letter with an x-acto knife. I figured it would either be a huge waste of time or a huge time-saver and luckily, it worked out great!

geary door_PROCESS_WEB RES 2.jpg

I had realized that I just wouldn’t have enough time to lay out the design correctly (exactly as-pictured in my sketch) in pencil or chalk - so luckily it only took me an hour or so to first coat everything with my stencils. After that, I was able to spend the rest of my time adding in the remaining designs, building up the layers and refining the details. There’s something about murals that always seems daunting to me at first - but then so liberating since it’s 100% hand-painted (and a nice break from digital). I’m really happy with how this one turned out!